My Blog List

With Marika Jones

Marika Jones is a Kerikeri based artist, who left her corporate job to find her niche in painting. Ever since, Marika has completed many corporate and private commissions and has shown her work throughout New Zealand, Australia and London.
Business to Business - What inspired you to start up your business?
Marika Jones - After years in the corporate world it was a dream to work for myself and be a creative full-time.  I worked above an Art Gallery and walking past it everyday eventually got to me enough to make the break and through in the job. My greatest fear was financial and paradoxically I made more money in my first year as an artist than my last year in the corporate world!
BtoB - Who has influenced you the most professionally?
MJ - A lot of my friends are artists and have influenced me and inspired me greatly. Also the many great artists/tutors I have met in my studies over the years.
BtoB - How would you describe yourself as a businessperson?
MJ - Driven with a good dose of creative madness.
BtoB - What do you consider your greatest achievement?
MJ - Having a succession of sell-out shows in my early career and getting an art dealer in London when I was just starting out.
BtoB - With hindsight, what is the one thing you would do differently?
MJ - I’d have sought mentors from the beginning in all areas of business – not just other artists, and built myself up a network of different experts to learn from. Also grab all opportunities.

BtoB - Who do you find inspirational and why?
MJ - Friends and people I come across who are living their dreams - they totally inspire me to give it a go.
BtoB - What is the most inspirational book you have read recently?
MJ - “Every Bastard Says No :  The 42 Below Vodka Story”.  The ten-year overnight success story has really resonated with me - just don’t give up before the miracle happens.
BtoB - What is your favourite website and why?
MJ - www.marikajones.co.nz  - Google it! And www.deadlyponies.com. I love their approach to their website.
BtoB - What is the first thing you would do if you became Prime Minister?
MJ - Give more support to the arts and stop bailing out finance companies.
BtoB - What is the best thing about being in business?
MJ - Being autonomous and the interesting people and opportunities I come across.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...