My Blog List

With Hamish Nuttall

Hamish Nutall
Hamish Nuttall, CEO and founder of nakedbus.com, reveals what drives him and why New Zealand needed a super-cheap bus service.
Business to Business - What inspired you to start up your business?
Hamish Nuttall - I thought it should be easier and cheaper to travel around New Zealand. When I saw low cost transport models in Europe and elsewhere, I realised something similar could be done here. I also thought I could start a business that would run itself. That bit hasn’t worked out too well.
BtoB - Who has influenced you the most professionally?
HN - Many people have influenced me – I don’t claim much in the way of originality. My first boss in the UK, Roland Higgins, who combined his passion for transport with an understanding of how to achieve his goals in business taught me a lot about channelling my enthusiasm in a structured environment.
BtoB - How would you describe yourself as a businessperson?
HN - I am ideas-driven but I am impatient and get bored by repetition. I have therefore focused on building a scalable repeatable business process that is effective but low cost. I think I am fairly well aware of my weaknesses and so I have a team that complements my strengths.
BtoB - What do you consider your greatest achievement?
HN - I am most proud of my son, who is 16 and setting himself such high standards. In business I am most proud of building a nationwide brand that engages our customers and excites our team.
BtoB - With hindsight, what is the one thing you would do differently?
HN - Have more confidence in my ability to affect change, and so set higher goals.

BtoB - Who do you find inspirational and why?
HN - To be honest, my team. Most of them are straight out of uni, but each can run the business without blinking. They are loyal and supportive yet challenge me when I need it. They have also made nakedbus.com a hugely fun and high-energy place to work.
BtoB - What is the most inspirational book you have read recently?
HN - I like to take ideas from a wide range of reading. I don’t see myself as a natural leader and so I have found “Primal Leadership: Learning to Lead with Emotional Intelligence” by Daniel Goleman and others helpful in developing a way of being that works in different situations and with different people.
BtoB - What is your favourite website and why?
HN - Google – It is simple and so effective. When you open the page you know exactly what you are expected to do.
BtoB - What is the first thing you would do if you became Prime Minister?
HN - I believe in changing the things I can, and not worrying about the other stuff. I think I can make more of a difference doing what I do, so (a bit tongue in cheek) I would resign in favour of someone who was passionate about that job.
BtoB - What is the best thing about being in business?
HN - The ability to help shape the future. No doubt you can do that in employment as well, but with a smart, enthusiastic team you can move very quickly.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...