My Blog List

My tip for every "producer/ director" bride-to-be is in a word, PRIORITIZE.

Recently, I've noticed many brides dealing with the challenges of securing all the services necessary to produce their wedding day. I've often been amazed at the level of production that it takes to pull off such an event for 75-150 people. It seems that the title "bride-to-be" might be more accurately read "producer/ director". At many of the wedding planning resources on the web, you will find a long list of details to fill your days and months before the big day. It must be overwhelming.

My tip for every "producer/ director" bride-to-be is in a word, PRIORITIZE.

Sit down and take that huge list you've just downloaded and reorganize it. Make your own list with the most important thing to you at the top then work your way down. If you are planning to use a wedding planner or event coordinator, get them on board early. It will cut your work load considerably and possibly even change your title back to "bride-to-be".

Next, consider that the two most time sensitive services to hire are your wedding venue and photographer. Here in lies the substance of my contribution. Typically, the really excellent photographers and the great venues book a year in advance and can take only one client per day. So at the top of that list should be VENUE and right after that should be PHOTOGRAPHER. Both will require a non-refundable deposit to reserve the day for your wedding. Understand that we're not crafty devious individuals looking to snatch your deposit money. To the contrary, we are professionals scheduling our next year's work the most secure way possible.

In the past I've taken bookings with a promise of the deposit in 2 weeks during which time I turn down as many as 2 other clients that wanted to book me on that same day. Then, I get the phone call saying "Oh, we're very sorry but we've changed our date and decided to use someone else." Now, I make it a point to tell my potential clients that it is the deposit that books the day and I give them a comfortable time to go over the contract, ask questions and send me the check. Basically I set a closing date, after which I will except the next interested client.

Every wedding is different. Possibly, the venue and the photographer may not be at the top of your list but the point is PRIORITIZE , do your homework and secure the details that are most important to you and every thing else will fall in place. I've been witness to hundreds of beautiful weddings and I can tell you that it is a magic time. Do everything you can to make it perfect, then take a step back and leave room for "Beauty... as it occurs naturally".

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...