My Blog List

GIA Tickets Refunds– Whose Responsibility?

Last year due to the impact of the volcanic eruption in Iceland it disrupted the Airline industry. Many customers were disappointed however put up with the inconvenience it caused the world.

Over 800 customers of the failed Ghana International Airlines were left helpless and horrified over response we encountered. Thankfully, this week the Government has finally responded to the plight of GIA customers caught up in the mess. On this note I must congratulate the President Atta – Mills’s Government for rising up to this challenge and releasing money to be paid to the 800 passengers.

The Chief Executive of GIA handling of the crisis was unacceptable. Passengers were left in a limbo and not knowing who to turn to. All the travelling agents were also in the similar situation as their customers. One thing I observed during the crisis was the lack of consistent advised from the entire travelling agents where tickets were bought.

I wrote to the Chief of Staff at the Castle regarding my concerns. I am still waiting for the refund of 5 tickets purchased from Panafrique travel agent in London in February 2010.

On hearing the good news this week, I decided to phone Panafrique however the response that the money promised has not been released from the Government has not yet twinkled down to the travel agents. I know it is early days however it would have be nice to have got a letter or email from the travel agent.

I have already informed the parents of the 5 students whom I recommended to Ghana via GIA about the good news. There is certainly a lack of an effective communication strategy between the GIA and customers. This has cause too much harm then good.

Now that money has been released for the refunds of tickets, I would like to know when customers should expect to get the monies from travel agents involved. I heard Circle travel has started paying its customers but not the full amount of the ticket money. It would be helpful if the new Minister of Transport informs passengers what to expect from travel agent.

I do hope that lessons are learnt from these our experience and used as a template so that greater effort are made from his office to implemented strategies which would improve on an effective customer care of all transport related issues in Ghana.

I am impressed about the way a decisive action has been taken to refund from GIA. This is not time for blaming anyone however I strongly feel hard lessons has been learnt from all involved.

 
 
 
Source: Mercy Adede Bolus

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...