My Blog List

Gaming Update

Overview
March pretty much followed the same pattern as February – I did miss a week of gaming due to work, but managed to make up for it by painting instead!
Gaming
Three minis games dominated March
First up was Ex Illis. Following on from our previous games, I managed to get a couple of games of this in with Dave on a Saturday. Hugely enjoyable.
I also played a couple more games of Song of Blades and Heroes. this was especially pleasing as it meant that I fielded my newly painted Dwarf warband.
And talking of newly painted, the third mins game I played in March also meant some more painting. This time, it was a Chaos Dwarf team for Blood Bowl.
I really enjoyed this game, and I’m looking forward to playing much more of it in the coming months.
I also played quite a few boardgames – we introduce more people to The Great Fire of London 1666 – which seems to get better each time I play it.
Other games included:

Probably my favourite of these was Biblios – it’s a very nicely produced game with high quality components and artwork.
Finally, I managed to get a game of Battlecry.
I’ve been waiting to play this since Christmas, so it was good to get it to the table – it’s a good game, and you certainly can’t fault the production quality of this set. However, it’s also the version with the simplest mechanics, and I remain to be convinced on that front.
Painting
As I mentioned, playing Blood Bowl did give me the opportunity to paint some more minis, in the shape of a Chaos Dwarf team.

I’ll try and get some better pictures posted, but this is my team: 6 Dwarf Blockers, 2 Bull Centaurs, 4 Hobgoblins and a Minotaur. The entire team are from Impact Miniatures, with the exception of the Minotaur, which is a Heresy figure.
Podcasts
Well, March didn’t quite go to plan – I published Episode 72, and almost managed to finish Episode 73 (which was a monster!). I was also interviewed for an episode of the CWF gamecast, which is due for release in April.
Purchases
One phrase reflects March – “epic fail”.
My excuse (if I needed one) was that Heron Games had a sale in March with some unmissable bargains. That, coupled with a bonus, meant that some purchases were pushed forward from later in the year.
Rise of Empires is a Martin Wallace civilisation game, which looks really interesting (even if the components don’t look that great)
I’ve always been a big fan of Race for the Galaxy – Glory to Rome is supposed to be even better.
Two cheap expansions for Battlelore were simply too good to miss.
Goblins & Dwarfs now have full armies for this game.
And finally, there were a couple of cheap expansions for Okko and also the Mercenary Starter Army for Battleground Fantasy Warfare, which you need to play the Kingdoms expansion.
Just when I thought that was that, the end of the month saw some more expansions released:
There were the latest two faction decks for the excellent Summoner Wars gane: the Jungle Elves and the Cloaks.
Both of these look excellent, and I can’t wait to get these to the table
Next were two new expansions for Death Angel – the card game from FFG based on Space Hulk.
These expansions are print-on-demand – a new way of purchasing that FFG are trialling. Again, very inexpensive, but they give new missions, plus two new Marine squads to expand the game.
Finally, our group has been discussing Ganesha games all month, so I thought I’d pick up the two PDFs that I currently didn’t own.
Again, at $8 a PDF, these are excellent value.
So, a month of many bargains, but I doubt whether I will be buying anything at all in April!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...