My Blog List

"When I'm worried and I can't sleep,
I count my blessings instead of sheep,
And I fall asleep counting my blessings."

-- Irving Berlin

Take a moment to think about this question: What are you thankful for?

What came to mind?
A person?
A pet?
A place?
Good health?
Home and family?
Work?
Friends?
Peace of mind?
Your spiritual path?
Life itself?

One of my favorite people in the world, a retired Episcopal minister, often shares a prayer at our weekly Rotary meeting that goes (something) like this:

Some would eat but have no meat,
Some have meat but cannot eat,
We have meat and we can eat,
And so the Lord be thanked.

Whenever I hear this delightful statement of thanks, I think how simple true gratitude is. While striving to improve the quality of life is laudable, obsessive pursuit of a good thing can cause me to focus on what's missing instead of the abundance in which I live. So I've begun to practice what I call "cultivating gratitude."

Each morning upon waking, I ask myself: What do I have to be grateful for today? Over the years, my list has grown longer. I usually start with the same one, two or three core items but also try to think of new things each day. I find more and more to be grateful for.

This practice helps counterbalance my tendency toward worry, doubt, and constant striving.

Later, at different times during the day, I take a moment to remember a blessing or two - especially when life seems hard. I feel younger, stronger, and happier when I do this.

What do you have to be grateful for today? If it's a person, why not tell them. You know, it takes about two minutes to write a thank you note. Go ahead - make somebody's day!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...