My Blog List

Groovy and the beast


Beastwars: Raise your fist, bang your head and obey the riff. Credit: David James
Beastwars: Raise your fist, bang your head and obey the riff. Credit: David James
LOCAL four-piece metal band Beastwars is hard-core, in a groovy kind of way.
Drummer Nathan Hickey, aka Nato, formed the band five years ago, and this was his intention.
“We wanted to sound like The Cult crossed with Kyuss, you know - good grooves, and a triumphant, uplifting feel. The feel good factor,” he says.
Their motto, “Raise your fist, bang your head and obey the riff”, should probably include “sway those hips” (albeit in more ‘metal’ terms). Beastwars’ strain of metal doesn’t bash you over the head, or thrust like a jackhammer – it’s simple, melodic and slow – Nato calls it “sludge metal”.
“You don’t have to be technically proficient to play metal, for me slower can mean heavier,” he says.
Nato, best known for playing bass and guitar, only began to focus on drums when Beastwars started.
“I’ve wanted to play drums since I was seven years old, but my parents bought me a guitar. It was very nice, but it wasn’t a drum kit,” he says.
“I’ve found the instrument that I should’ve been playing the whole time.”
Nato is charming, and extremely polite. It doesn’t seem to fit with his bands’ hard-core image.
“Oh, I’m wearing black jeans. And I’m growing my beard too, so I can get really scary,” he laughs.
And why wouldn’t metal musicians, and their fans, be delightful?
“I’ve seen scientific studies that show people who listen to heavy metal music are generally more relaxed. I’ve witnessed it myself – I’ve seen lots of different live music, and unless you’re in the mosh pit – everyone at a metal show is mellow and polite. People don’t go round shoving people, like at other gigs,” he says.
Beastwars, who have just released their self-titled debut, with artwork by Weta workshop conceptual artist Nick Keller, will tour nationwide through May. They have also just been selected to open for Kyuss - the very band they started out to pay tribute to.
“We’re this band that plays outsider music and thought no-one was gonna like us, and they chose us. It doesn’t get better than that.”
Beastwars, Bodega, May 7.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...